click to show more information

click to hide/show information About this Show

Piers Morgan Tonight

News/Business. Barbra Streisand. (2012) Barbra Streisand.

NETWORK
CNN

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 759 (CNN HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1920

PIXEL HEIGHT
1080

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Barbra Streisand 10, Geico 3, Barbra 3, Alabama 3, Phillips 3, Jason 3, Ma 2, New York 2, Mississippi 2, Louisiana 2, Volkswagen 2, Brooklyn 2, Newtown 2, Advil 2, Florida 2, George Bush 2, Wla 1, Lg 1, United 1, Alzheimer 's 1,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CNN    Piers Morgan Tonight    News/Business. Barbra  
   Streisand.  (2012) Barbra Streisand.  

    December 25, 2012
    8:00 - 8:59pm PST  

8:00pm
millions of books, making hundreds of millions of dollar, married to this beautiful woman. what if i've lost my job, my house, my karks i can't feed my kids as tens of millions of americans right now are going through that. how wla do you say about that? how do you convince them to take your lead? >> well, i think there's hope. the big part of the ministry is -- we face difficulties, too, but our hearts go out to people. americans are hurting people all over the world. i think it's so important, piers, if you get up in the morning and think life is lousy, there's nothing good in my future, i don't want to go to work, you're going to draw in more negativity, you're going to get bitter and miss your purpose. it's hard, i'm not saying it's easy but you got to get up and find something to be grateful for. >> that's it for us tonight. it's been an extraordinary year. thank you for watching.
8:01pm
tonight, the one and only barbra streisand. ♪ of the way we were >> extraordinary hour with the legendary superstar. >> those men are fighting for your right to make any kind of picture you want. >> her incredible career. >> i only began to sing because i couldn't get a job as an actress. >> leading men? >> still after him. >> the greatest love of her life. >> you always ask that to people. why is that? >> and the tragedy that changed everything. >> i think it did scar me. >> plus politics, saying no to plastic surgery and hello to fame. >> you see me as this star. i don't see myself that way. >> barbra streisand the way she is, a funny girl. this is "piers morgan tonight." people ask me who i would most like to have on my show as a guest, one name continuously pops up in my mind. a voice that i believe is the greatest it's ever been. a humanitarian, a political activist, a wife a mother and
8:02pm
she's a funny girl. she is, of course, barbra streisand. i even got your name right. >> did you say barbra. >> i say barbra. more important, i got streisand right. we had dinner together and you lectured me that i kept calling you barbra streisand. >> very english. >> streisand. >> by god, you've got it. >> now, i've just come from watching your brilliant new movie. i don't say that lightly. "guilt trip." it reminded me exactly what it would be like if i went on a road trip with my mother. about you and seth rogen, you go on this bizarre road trip together. you're the archetypical jewish mama and he's the archetypical jewish son. in a touching funny way. let's watch a clip. >> i'm over here. >> hey, ma. i see you, hey. all of new york sees you. >> oh, my god. >> good to see you. >> look at you.
8:03pm
oh, my god. oh, my god, you're wearing a sports jacket. >> yeah, i am. >> how did you know to buy a sports jacket? >> i took a class in it. >> you left the price tag on it. j. crew? my fancy shmancy son. >> that's me. >> i'll just keep it in case it goes on sale. >> a really touching movie. i find it very moving. it moved me to tears at one stable, but it's also very funny. you must have had a ball doing it? >> yeah, if you like. if you like working that much, yeah, it was fun. it actually was fun. >> do you hate all work basically? >> no. >> what do you like doing? >> i love -- i love making movies, actually. and i love recording. that's what i love. >> you don't like performing in front of people. >> that's odd. >> it is strange. >> i never know what to do during the applause. i don't know what to do. it's like, oh, all right, let's go on to the next thing. it's a strange thing to be live
8:04pm
in front of people. >> you consider yourself to be primarily an actress that sings, right? >> mm-hmm. >> whereas many people would think you're the greatest singer arguably that's ever been. i would argue that. >> i don't know. i only began to sing because i couldn't get a job as an actress who sings. >> the dream was always to be an actress, to be a star. did you want to be a star. >> i think when i was younger i wanted to be a star, until i became a star. it's a lot of work. it's work to be a star. i don't enjoy the stardom part. i only enjoy the creative process. >> on a desert island, all you can do for the rest of your life, you can sing, you can direct, you can act or you can just sit there drinking out of coconuts. >> i would say direct. >> that's the true love. >> well, directing is so interesting. it just sort of encompasses everything that you see, that you know, that you felt, that you've observed.
8:05pm
it just -- you know, you can turn the camera on anything. oh, my god just turn the camera and you're in control of your work. you're in control of your so-called art. i like that. >> when i watched "guilt trip" -- and we'll come to your own guilt trips because i'm sure there are millions of them, as i have. but it took me back to your early upbringing in many ways because it's about motherhood. it's about the relationship between a mother and her son. you had a very difficult upbringing. you've talked about this before, but i found it fascinating. your father died when you were 1. >> 15 months old. >> right. i was 1 when my father died. >> really? >> i saw that parallel. >> ah. >> i was very fortunate in my mother remarried somebody who was a fantastic father to me. you weren't so fortunate. you had this very difficult relationship with your stepfather. i was personally fascinated by that. how much do you think it scarred you or did it just drive you?
8:06pm
>> i think it did scar me more than it drove me. what drove me was the fact that my father's life was cut so short. he died at 35 years old. and it was -- he was listed in a book of great leaders of education. he wrote incredible thesises, if there's such a word of just wonderful observations. one of them -- he was a teacher and he also taught at elmyra and he taught english to juvenile delinquents. i could never read that piece till i got much older and had this certain experience. and then i was able to read it. and that was me. in other words, there is so much in the cellular memory or the dna because i never knew him. but at 16, i had discovered chekhov and ibsen and
8:07pm
shakespeare. when i finally read my father's thesis, it was how to teach prisoners and delinquents through ibsen and checkov and shakespeare. >> have you been able to find out a lot about him and his character and his life? >> not really. although very mystical things happen. i was doing a concert. i can't remember when. several years ago. i was with my two girlfriends one night at my house. and they were talking about their fathers, and i couldn't relate to them because they had the experience of having a father. i came up to my office after they left, and there was a letter from my father that had been sent to me through a cousin who has the same streisand name in brooklyn in some synagogue. and she asked if he was related
8:08pm
to me, my cousin, and she said, could you give this to barbra? and this was my father's girlfriend when he was 19 years old. and she found me through my cousin. and it was a poem written to her, but such a beautiful poem, and it talked about love. the only thing really in this world is love was the moral of the poem. with an enigmatic structure in it that you had to find -- you had to find the key to find his -- he's such an interesting mind. >> extraordinary. he was 19 when he wrote this? >> yeah. >> what did that make you feel? >> that he was telling me something. that it was to me. >> what was he telling you? >> it was this message that, you know, no matter what, love is the answer. that's why i called my album
8:09pm
"love is the answer." it's also a line from a song. >> your character in the movie "the guilt trip" has been in love what, to the viewer has been in love properly twice in her life. to the man she married, then to this other guy that she fell in love with. how many times have you in your life been properly in love? >> how many times have i been in love? i should have prepared for this because i see you ask everybody, although you didn't ask mike tyson. >> there's a reason for that. >> oh, is that right? i'm trying to think. at least five or six. >> really? see, that's fascinating. does the wider world know all of them? >> you didn't how long it lasted. >> no. >> this love feeling or whatever, but -- >> how long does it need to last to qualify for proper love, do you think? >> oh, maybe seven.
8:10pm
not that long. eight months would you say? or maybe years. years, years. >> some people have it literally in a flash. i do believe that there can be love at first sight. i know people where that's happened. they've been very happy the rest of their lives together. they get lucky. >> isn't it interesting? it's a recognition of something. i knew i liked you from the minute, but i didn't know that your father died that early. and there is -- you see, we never talked about it. you might have known that about me, but there's something that you recognize in someone's past. and it's a void that you roy in -- and it's a void that you recognize in a way, you think? >> i'm sure you have the same, but you're perennially curious because you never knew this person that despite that was such a pivotal part of your life really. that's why you're here. that's what i find fascinating about it. >> yeah. >> did you feel that your mother
8:11pm
properly loved you or was there a sense of jealousy that you were leading the kind of life perhaps she dreamt of herself? >> she was a wonderful singer. my mother had a great voice. not like mine, not like my sister's, not like my son's. a high soprano voice, but like a bird. i mean, really beautiful. but i used to say, mom, why didn't you try to get a career as a singer. no, she said she was too shy. she couldn't do it. i'm basically shy, too. but that makes the difference. how do you succeed if you don't try? >> how did you feel when your mother died did you feel that you had reconciled things with her? >> basically, yeah. little -- a short time before she died, i remember going to her house, and she had alzheimer's. and she didn't recognize me really, but i started to sing her a melody of something she had sung when she was younger.
8:12pm
and that she remembered. and it just shows you the power of music, doesn't it? >> what was it you sang? do you remember? >> it was something that she made a record of when she -- when i was 13 and she took me but it was really because she made the records, and then i was able to make a record when i was 13. >> do you think she was proud of you? >> you know what it was? i used to say, ma, how come you never told me i love you, you never said those words or really hugged me. she said, i didn't want you to get a swelled head. she said, i knew that my parents loved me, but they didn't have to tell me all the time. it's a certain coldness, you know? it's not tactile, it's not physical. it's -- i don't know what it is. it was strange to me always. strange to me. >> how are you with your son? >> oh, i guess -- i think everything he does is great.
8:13pm
you know, my son, that's unconditional love. i swear. it's a terrible thing to say. but i think my son could do something really bad and i know i would find a way to justify it. >> you sang with your son jason. this is in september. let's take a look at this. it's very amusing. >> what do you have? ♪ how many times a day do i think of you ♪ ♪ how many roses -- you got roses ♪ i got roses ♪ are sprinkled with dew >> doesn't he have a gorgeous voice? >> he has an amazing voice. >> look at that. he had never been on stage before, but he's done so much incredible work on himself that he actually could have the
8:14pm
courage. he says i'm never going to perform. he said, i like recording, but i'm never going to perform live. i said, jason, when i heard him sing this song on this record he made, we've got to sing that together. you have to sing that with me. >> that was beautiful to watch. we found that on the internet. >> i've not seen that before. >> have you not? >> nope. we had that on the television show that's going to come out on mother's day, hopefully. but i've never seen it on -- >> let's take a little break. i want to talk about jason more. because i want to know if you've been on a road trip with him, parallel with the movie. let's talk politics. "the way we were," what rocks your political boat because i know for a fact a lot does. [ laughter ] my conversation with barbra streisand took place before the shooting in newtown. ms. streisand offered her condolences to the family of the victims. in a statement on her web site she said: the horrible tragedy in newtown, connecticut, has brought to forefront a much needed and long overdue national conversation regarding the lack of gun control and mental health
8:15pm
services in our country. i hope the story of sandy hook elementary finally catalyzes our nation and our leaders in washington to commit to do something substantive regarding gun control and access to mental health care services to those who desperately need it. we'll be right back. wagen sign e is back. and it's never been easier to get a passat. that's the power of german engineering. get $0 down, $0 due at signing, $0 deposit, and $0 first month's payment on any new volkswagen. visit vwdealer.com today.
8:16pm
on any new volkswagen. with two times the points on dining in restaurants,? you may find yourself asking why not, a lot. chase sapphire preferred. there's more to enjoy.
8:17pm
omnipotent of opportunity. you know how to mix business... with business. and you...rent from national. because only national lets you choose any car in the aisle. and go. you can even take a full-size or above. and still pay the mid-size price. i could get used to this. [ male announcer ] yes, you could business pro. yes, you could. go national. go like a pro.
8:18pm
the russians don't want anybody in spain but the spanish. is that scary? they're communists, yes, but they want total disarmament now. is that scary? hitler and mussolini are using the spanish earth as testing ground for what they want. another world war. is that scary? you're darn right it is! >> barbra streisand in "the way we were." that's my single favorite movie of all time. >> really?
8:19pm
>> i told robert redford about it. he said he'd been resisting your clarion call for a sequel ever since. >> it's sufficient a good story, the sequel. >> he's never made a sequel to anything he told me. he just doesn't believe -- >> i understand that. but this happens to be a great story. i wanted it to be released on the 25th anniversary, but we never made it. sends >> what would have happened? >> it just was a very interesting story about through their daughter and her political activism at berkeley in 1968 and the democratic national convention, which is very interesting. it was a beautiful love story again. >> now, i know that you're into your politics big time because we spent most of the last month e-mailing each other about barack obama and mitt romney. and you were tearing me off a new one, i believe is the american phrase, for what you perceived to be my lack of support for the president. >> that's right.
8:20pm
>> i was more interested in the debate we were having. it was a good one, informative. >> i kept sending you articles. >> you did. and your man won. >> your man didn't? >> no, i didn't have a horse in the race. i'm british. i don't have the right. but my argument to you was i wondered whether mitt romney could be better for the american economy. >> good god, no. >> you were having none of it. >> do you know why? there have been businessmen who have turned presidents, i think herbert hoover, george bush, the first george bush. businessmen. i think there was a couple of others. lousy presidents. businessmen make lousy presidents. so consistently supportive. i. >> can't even imagine thinking about what would happen to the supreme court if a republican were the president, you know? citizens united is a oshl face
8:21pm
and keep your mind in the elections. country of the people who could again fit from that money. >> there have been two locks where one party has had far more financial power than the other. one was here in california, one was nationally but come any clearly had more monday than laum, along with money lost, war does that tell you about the peern people? >>s people are saying i don't like all this money spent on this election. i hope somebody does anything about temperature you hud havin that idea of corporations being people. no, no. this is a company of, by and for the people. not of, by and for the corporation.
8:22pm
you know, lights -- -- gmos, the modified foot, like chemical cup the bad because the poison in our foods and in the air and they give plewes. we are having climate chang. the republican don't seem to want to acknowledge that. you have to be a democrat to stand that or to believe in that. >> you have ever been in love with a republican? >> never. >> could you ever be? >> no we never talked about politics. but i can't quite imagine it, no.
8:23pm
>> what would have been the prouest moment for you is when lae rhyme taught so tackly. >> absolutely. that's great. >> what else? >> what else has he done? >> caller: yeah, that your tuckly or pe in my concert tour, my limited concert tour but if you want clean air and kood food and so forth and if you believe that a come has a right to choose what happens in your own body or you think your body belongs to the state, there's a clear choice. how could you -- thank god that aiken and -- they came out with strort views. and i thought isn't that great. keep talking, boys. >> when you watched the footage of those members that they said
8:24pm
anything? remortgagely contentious. i thought that pretty unsettling. >> it was deeply offensive. >> do you feel that there's any formle real equality yet in america for women? >> we're one of the last countries to ever think of a woman being president. but that isn't possible now. >> do you think hillary is ready to run? >> i don't know. but i hope after a four-year rest that she would run because she would be a great woman president. >> let's take another break and come back and talk hollywood. to the best vacation spot on earth. (all) the gulf!
8:25pm
it doesn't matter which of our great states folks visit. mississippi, alabama, louisiana or florida, they're gonna love it. shaul, your alabama hospitality is incredible. thanks, karen. love your mississippi outdoors. i vote for your florida beaches, dawn. bill, this louisiana seafood is delicious. we're having such a great year on the gulf, we've decided to put aside our rivalry. now is the perfect time to visit anyone of our states. the beaches and waters couldn't be more beautiful. take a boat ride, go fishing or just lay in the sun. we've got coastline to explore and wildlife to photograph. and there's world class dining with our world famous seafood. so for a great vacation this year, come to the gulf. its all fabulous but i give florida the edge. right after mississippi. you mean alabama. say louisiana or there's no dessert. this invitation is brought to you by bp and all of us who call the gulf home.
8:26pm
share brotherly love. share one up's. mom ? mom ? the share everything plan. lets your family share a pool of data across 10 devices with unlimited talk and text. now get a lucid by lg, free.
8:27pm
[ male announcer ] when diarrhea hits, kaopectate stops it fast. powerful liquid relief speeds to the source. fast. [ male announcer ] stop the uh-oh fast with kaopectate.
8:28pm
♪ can you hear me, papa can you see me ♪ papa can you find me in the
8:29pm
night ♪ papa can you help me not be frightened? >> you're wearing the same outfit, you just realized. >> that's very funny. >> what do you think about that era? when you look at yourself? >> i'm so objective when i look at myself when i'm directing a movie and i'm editing. it's always she, her. it's not me. it's like the character in the movie. >> do you see a beautiful woman there? >> not particularly. >> you have ever looked in the mirror and thought you looked beautiful? >> from certain angles. >> really? which is your best ainge snl. >> well, my left. >> why? >> because my eyes don't look as cross-eyed sometimes, my nose is better, my mouth is better. >> there's the way you feel? >> yeah. i'm like two different people on two sides i think. >> let's take a look at the clip
8:30pm
from "funny girl," 1958. ♪ don't bring around a cloud to rain on my parade ♪ don't tell me not to fly, i simply got to ♪ if someone takes a spill, it's me and not you ♪ who told you you're allowed to rain on my parade ♪ >> it's odd. you know what it is? i don't like to live in the past. i like to live in the present. so it's always odd for me to see things from the past. >> we've got you from when you're 19 years old. this will really torment you. you know you've triggered this one. >> 19 years old? ♪ it would be like sleeping in the palm of your hand ♪ you're bewitched and one
8:31pm
looked after lad -- >> i didn't know then what was my good side. the beehive hair. >> i find that utterly mesmerizing and all you can do is look at it and see yourself as cross-eyed. how have you resisted the plunge into plastic surgery that most female performers do? >> because i don't trust people. when i was younger i thought if i only i could take off that little bit or shorten that a little bit then i thought but what if he screwed up? i really don't like the idea of
8:32pm
changing one's face, like capping the teeth or things like that cto change the voice. >> who is the greatest actor that you think is this. >> marl on brando. >> really? >> yes. why, do you doubt that? >> no. though i remember interviewing do dennis hopper and he said james dean. >> but hopper was first. he called me up once and said "sing me a song." and i said, marlon, that's like me asking you to recite hamlet, to which he proceeded to recite a soliloquy from hamlet.
8:33pm
>> and did you sing? i did. and this is before they had gizmos to record things and i'm going -- doing hamlet. so i had to sing him a song. >> what did he say at the end of it? >> i don't remember that. >> was it a regular thing? would he ring up on a friday night and say where's my song? >> we -- he -- we once went on a short road trip together. >> you and marlon brando? >> mm-hmm. >> where did you go? >> he wanted to take me to the desert to see the wild flowers. but i was just such a nice jewish girl that i said marlon i can't stay overnight with you. i'll go with you for the dave but you have to take me home. >> so marlon wanted to do more than look at flowers with you. >> he wanted to sleep over in the desert with me. >> you turned down marlon
8:34pm
brando? >> yeah, absolutely. >> how did he take rejection? >> it was fine. we would talk for hours and hours sometimes on the phone. it's great. >> what about? i find this mesmerizing, you, the greatest singer and the greatest actor just chewing the fat on the phone? ia, we would talk for hours. interesting, when we went on that road trip, he had just done, you know, the sexual one "last tango in paris" and i never asked him aut acting. and he told me -- it was interesting what he was telling me and i'll write about it someday but when i was older and i was doing my last -- no, it was "nuts" and he was telling me all these things, you know, how he wears an ear wig so he could hear the lines. a guy would speak the lines.
8:35pm
i would saying, you know, i didn't want to note lines of this movie because i was supposed to be under the influence of a drug in "nuts" but then he started to tell me but i never wanted to ask him, impose on him. he would come -- he came to my house once and he said, okay, before we save anything, look into my eyes and don't smile or anything, see how long you can do it. and actually i was just reading a book about him. >> how long did you do it? don't leave me in suspense. >> i couldn't do it. i kept laughing. but he was amazing and i see in this book that he does that with people. >> amazing. let's take a break and let's come back and talk about singing. >> singing. >> i look at you and i see the greatest singer who has ever been and i want to know how you do it. >> sweet. >> sweet? it's a fact. that will make it drop over, and over again. ♪ from jammin' jerk chicken, to creamy gouda bisque. see what's new from campbell's.
8:36pm
it's amazing what soup can do. then i read an artie about study that oked at the long term health benefits of taking multivitamins. hey used centr silver f t study... so i guess my wife was right. male anner ] centrum. ways your mostomplet so i guess my wife was right. why they have a raise your rate cd. tonight our guest, thomas sargent. you're barbra streisand. >> oh, my god. professor sargent, can you tell me
8:37pm
what cd rates will be in two years? no. if he can't, no one can. that's why ally has a raise your rate cd. ally bank. your money needs an ally. ♪ i don't wanna be right [ record scratch ] what?! it's not bad for you. it just tastes that way. [ female announcer ] honey nut cheerios cereal -- heart-healthy, whole grain oats. you can't go wrong loving it.
8:38pm
8:39pm
♪ memories ♪ like the corners of my mind ♪ misty watercolor memories of the way we were ♪ >> so when we had dinner, i said to you i found this thing on youtube from you from 1975, a television special called "a funny girl, a funny lady."
8:40pm
it is so amazing that it's breathtaking. i've played it for a lot of other famous people. i won't embarrass them by saying who it is. big superstars sit there with their mouths open. >> really? >> it's just almost i would say musical perfection. but also you just look so dazzling in that clip. >> that's so nice. >> what do you feel when you see it? >> i can't see what you see. i really can't. >> really? >> i'm looking at the -- why was i wearing that kind of thing over the black dress? god, my hair was light. and i was a little chubby. >> you weren't chubby! >> no, no, that's okay. >> yeah, but you weren't. you were beautiful. the interesting thing about you is the singing. come to the amazing success you've had, but the fact that you've got so cripplingly shy when you perform live i found really interesting. you play this huge concert in new york once, 130,000 people. >> 150, that's okay. central park. >> and you forgot the words to a
8:41pm
few big songs and it freaked you out so much you didn't perform for how long? >> 27 years. >> that's incredible. at the peak of your powers when you could have earned presumably a million dollars a night in vegas, you just stopped. that's some freakout you were going through. >> i know. >> when you have that freak out -- >> when you get freaked out -- >> tell me how you're feeling. because you're barbra streisand. i didn't think that people with your talent could feel that way. >> there's probably several people called barbra streisand, meaning, you see me as this star. i don't see myself like that. i'm this girl. i'm this woman. i'm this mother. i'm this wife. you know. i don't dress up. at home, i'm -- i don't like to say schlump. but more like the picture you saw me. but i was very comfortable doing that picture. i wore a sweatsuit and sneakers.
8:42pm
>> what i loved about it is you were the least starry superstar i ever met in my life. i was imagining after all these diva stories i read over the years which i kind of half hoped were true. >> isn't that terrible? no. >> you weren't remotely divaish. >> i hate to disappoint you. what the hell is a diva? i don't even know. >> have you ever been one? >> no. >> have you ever screamed at people? >> yeah, i scream at people. i scream at my husband. it doesn't make me a diva. >> are you a perfectionist? >> i am proud to say i am. but there is no such thing as perfection, and i found that out when i was 15 years old. i wrote it in my journal that perfection is imperfection. so it has that humanity, a human quality. otherwise it's too cold, right? you can just strive for perfection. better word is excellence. strive for excellence. >> what i love about you is heading towards christmas, you can even sing christmas stuff better than anybody else.
8:43pm
watch this. i found this on the internet, too. >> you're kidding me. ♪ silent night >> i like that. ♪ holy night >> i was hoarse that night. ♪ all is calm ♪ all is bright ♪ round yon virgin mother and child ♪ >> do you hear it? >> you're saying you sound hoarse. >> that's hoarse. >> i got goosebumps. this is why you are such a perfectionist. it must be why you're so good. >> maybe because i never -- >> never happy. >> i'm never in love with what i do, that's right. >> what things do you do that maybe we wouldn't know?
8:44pm
your secret. painted, you build great things. >> i draw. i actually draw. i take photographs. i wrote a book on design. that's interesting to me. because that's a lot to do with directing, too. it's composition and color and monochromatic frames. and that interests me. >> are you a naturally restless person or can you just completely relax if you want to? >> hmm, i think more so now i can relax. i mean, i really like quiet. i like to read and be quiet and watch films and -- or have interesting conversations. most conversations are not that interesting. that's why i like politics, political -- >> you're great at that. i've had some ding dongs with you which i've thoroughly enjoyed. you give as good as you get. no holds barred. >> no, that was fun. >> let's talk more about the "guilt trip." i want to know what guilt trips you've had in your life. and i want names. >> that's hard. some laxatives like dulcolax can cause cramps.
8:45pm
but phillips' caplets don't. they have magnesium. for effective relief of occasional constipation. thanks. [ phillips' lady ] live the regular life. phillips'. advil pm® or tylenol pm. the advil pm® guy is spending less time lying awake with annoying aches and pains and more time asleep. advil pm®. the difference is a better night's sleep. with annoying aches and pains and more time asleep. excuse me, sir i'm gonna have to ask you to power down your little word game. i think your friends will understand. oh no, it's actually my geico app...see? ...i just uh paid my bill. did you really? from the plane? yeah, i can manage my policy, get roadside assistance, pretty much access geico 24/7. sounds a little too good to be true sir. i'll believe that when pigs fly. ok, did she seriously just say that? geico. just click away with our free mobile app.
8:46pm
it's lots of things. all waking up. ♪ becoming part of the global phenomenon we call the internet of everything. ♪ trees will talk to networks will talk to scientists about climate change. cars will talk to road sensors will talk to stoplights about traffic efficiency. the ambulance will talk to patient records will talk to doctors about saving lives.
8:47pm
it's going to be amazing. and exciting. and maybe, most remarkably, not that far away. the next big thing? we're going to wake the world up. ♪ and watch, with eyes wide, as it gets to work. ♪ cisco. tomorrow starts here.
8:48pm
do you want to come on my trip with me, mom? >> you want to drive cross country with me? >> yeah. no. it's -- you know, we won't be gone long. it's only eight days in the car together. >> i want to make sure that i'm hearing this correctly. you want to spend a week in a car with your mother. >> more than anything in the world.
8:49pm
>> don't you think i might get on your nerves a little bit? >> no, it was just a thought. if you don't want to do it, then fine. i don't want to push you. >> i'm so awful that you can't spend -- >> barbra streisand in "the guilt trip." it's a very warm film. it's funny but also warm and poignant in places. could you ever imagine doing a road trip with your son like that for a week? >> yeah, i could imagine doing that. >> you wouldn't drive each other mad? my mother and i would last probably about a day. >> really? >> yeah, because we're just too similar. there would be too much arguing, i'm sure. she probably wouldn't admit it, but there probably would be. >> we never did that. i love traveling with him now on my tour. that was great. he brought his dog, i brought my dog, and we ate chosh habal. you know what that is, a chinese delicacy like a hamburger. >> i've taken road trips with my husband. >> how did that go? >> it makes us closer. >> i've only met him once or
8:50pm
twice, but he seems a very calming influence. a very self-confident, you know -- >> yeah. >> very unstarry, again, i really liked him. he's a very down to earth kind of character. >> he's very different than i am. i'm much more -- frenetic. >> the character you played, joyce, are you in real life? are you neurotic? in a good way. >> probably. i'm on good behavior now. >> let's turn to the future. because you're somebody that i get the feeling just having talked to you as well you don't really like going on about the past. >> no. >> to you it's about what's happening next. >> and being here in the present and being -- it's hard, too, you're trying to be grateful for everything that's positive and not dwell on the negative, but it's in my character to see things more pessimistically than optimistically. so i have to work at that. >> you also managed your career so skillfully.
8:51pm
and it may be almost by default because you didn't want to put yourself out there much. >> lazy. >> maybe that, yeah, your words, not mine. but you haven't done that many tours or released that many albums by comparison to many contemporaries over that period, you haven't made that many movies. but each time you do anything you make it an event that people look forward to. that may be the secret to your incredible longevity. do you think that? >> well, it's not conscious. it's the fact that i do, especially in relationship, if i'm newly going with jim, i don't have any desire to work. sometimes work is a substitute for -- >> for life. >> for life. that's right. >> your track record here. 51 gold albums, 30 platinum, eight grammys, two honorary grammys. that's just the music. oscars, emmys, grammys. unbelievable array of honors,
8:52pm
medals, trophies. you must have a cabinet the size of the new york yankees. does any of that really motivate you? do you ever look at it and think, yeah, i haven't done badly for a young girl from brooklyn? >> every once in a while. i used to hide all these awards, then one day i was doing a new house and actually it was -- well, it was a long time ago, ten years ago, let's say. and i decided i'll put them in a room. you can't see them when you walk in, but they're there. and i do appreciate them now. i must say. i do say, oh, good, i was here. i'm still here, but i was here. you know, i think it's because my father -- and maybe you relate to this -- died so young that i want to be remembered. i want to have made a mark here. and records and films, television shows, you know, they do that. they say you existed, you were here.
8:53pm
and hopefully for, you know, good purpose. >> let's take a final break. let's talk about other ways you will be remembered most of which your charitable. work. i want to talk about heart disease and your philanthropy because you've raised a lot of money and made a big difference. >> i hope so. [ cellphone chirping ] [ buzzing ] bye dad. drive safe. k. love you. [ chirping, buzzing continues ] [ horn honks ] [ buzzing continues ] [ male announcer ] the sprint drive first app. blocks and replies to texts while you drive. we can live without the &. visit sprint.com/drive.
8:54pm
i have a cold, and i took nyquil, but i'm still "stubbed" up. [ male announcer ] truth is, nyquil doesn't unstuff your nose. what? [ male announcer ] it doesn't have a decongestant. no way. [ male announcer ] sorry. alka-seltzer plus fights your worst cold symptoms plus has a fast acting decongestant to relieve your stuffy nose. [ sighs ] thanks! [ male announcer ] you're welcome. that's the cold truth! [ male announcer ] alka-seltzer plus. ♪ oh what a relief it is! ♪ [ male announcer ] to learn more about the cold truth and save $1 visit alka-seltzer on facebook. welcome to chevy's year-end event. so, the 5.3-liter v8 silverado can tow up to 9,600 pounds? 315 horsepower. what's that in reindeer-power? [ laughs ] [ pencil scratches ] [ male announcer ] chevy's giving more. get the best offer of the year -- 0% apr financing for 60 months plus $1,000 holiday bonus cash. plus trade up for an additional $1,000 trade-in allowance. hurry. bonus cash ends january 2nd.
8:55pm
8:56pm
8:57pm
we thought it would be fun to trace your lineage all the way back. >> yes, it turns out jack t. burns that you are 1/23rd israelite. >> welcome to the tribe, jack. >> "little fockers." great fun. with dustin hoffman. did you like making that? >> it's not a challenge. put it that way. >> let's talk about your philanthropic career. because that's been almost as relentless and productive as anything else you've done. one of the particular things that you're so keen on is women's heart disease. tell me why that's been such a passionate thing for you. >> because, you know -- i'm -- i dislike inequality so much, whether it's gender issues or gay rights or whatever.
8:58pm
even in the medical sciences there is discrimination. so it turns out that more women die of heart disease now than all cancers combined. more women die of heart disease rather than men, more women than men die of heart disease. did you know that? i was so shocked by some of these statistics. >> until i researched this interview and i saw why you were so strong about it. >> right. >> it's startling. >> 50 years of reseah have been done on men. i'll tell you a funny story, too. you realize how powerful females are, okay? that even in the research, a woman doctor discovered how to grow a heart from stem cells in, you know, in a petri dish, whatever. how did she do it? you know how she did it?
8:59pm
with only female stem cells because literally the male stem cells got lost. like in life. and they refused to ask for directions. now, this is true. can you imagine that? so i just believe, you know, breast cancer has done such a magnificent job raising millions and millions of dollars to help that disease, but let's say 39,520 women died of breast cancer in the last couple of years. 455,000 died of heart disease. and we haven't learned yet those organizational skills in order to raise awareness and subsequent funds to help that because women have a different -- a smaller vascular system called a micro vascular system. we need different equipmt,